Whats in your BOB

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of urbanhunter urbanhunter 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of big red
    big red
    Participant

what do you have in your bug out bag what do you use for a BOB how heavy is your BOB Detail I think we will find things we did not think of and things we don’t need

Profile photo of urbanhunter
    urbanhunter
    Participant

I keep an old day pack at my work in case I have to make the walk out of the city. I keep water, snacks, walking shoes, and socks, plus a lock blade knife, a map of the city, and a compass. It could be about a 25 mile hike so the pack doesn’t have to be great, and it does need to be able to compress down small enough to be kept out of sight.

Today, my wife’s health has gone down to the point where we would have to shelter in place (wheel chairs and oxygen don’t travel well), so my main concern is getting to the house before the battery back-up for her oxygen shuts down (about a 6 hour window). My plan would be to “access” one of the bicycles around here to make the trek go faster.

When traveling I carry a pack with snacks for 2 days, a water bottle, water filter, clothes for the occasion, phone charger battery, cell phone, a space blanket, a small compass, and a map of the area.
    I’ve always used a regular backpack for my 72 hour kits, the trick is you need to revisit them every 4 months to switch out the cloths to match the weather.

When my kids were young we would have bug-out pick-nicks where we would put on our back packs and walk to a nearby park. Then we would pull out our individual camp stoves (each pack had one) and a make a meal using what was in the bags. Then everyone would vote up or down each dish, eventually we had confidence that we could get three days’ worth of meals out of the pack and that everything worked and that everyone knew how to properly use their equipment.

Each pack usually included a full change of clothes for the owner. A local map(with gathering locations marked (A,B, C)), a compass, whistle, contact information (phone numbers for close friends and family, $1 in quarters (we used to have payphones)), small flash light, sleeping bag with ground cloth, food for 3 days (3 meals each day+ 6 treats), 2 quarts of water, a water filter system, small single burner camp stove and fuel, mess kit, knife, para shoot cord, rain gear, space blanket (adults carried tents). A small bathroom kit soap, shampoo, tooth brush and paste, wash cloth and small towel

For us the trick was finding inexpensive back packs that would fit the kids and getting the weight down to where they could carry the bags for a couple of miles without too much trouble.

My wife always had a very bad back so our bug-out plans included the use of a small wooden wagon that could carry a lot of heavy-stuff (up to about 200 pounds) and it could be easily pulled by one person on level ground.

Well, this was probably TMI

Have a good one

Urban

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

FREE EBOOK

Hope for the Best, Prepare for the Worst
Protecting Yourself Against Economic Collapse