OK PEOPLE READ THIS

Home Forums Random Everything Else (off topic) OK PEOPLE READ THIS

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of BenRayner BenRayner 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of big red
    big red
    Participant

It says there are 1986 members but very few ever say anything SO SAY SOMETHING like how I clean rust of my favorite old log chain how to get worms for fishing with out digging a hole or going out at night how to grow carrots and not have to dig them up how to grow potatos and not have to dig them up or my wood fired hot water heater how to have running water with no pump ALL THE SHIT going on in the world you must have something to say about that whats your favorite gun do you have bow and arrows or a air rifle like how I got 3 compound bows and over 40 alum. arrows for under 100.00 bucks. Throw a ? out there and see what kind of help you get from the rest of us . COME ON PEOPLE TALK TO US AND ANY ONE

Profile photo of BenRayner
    BenRayner
    Participant

@big red posted;

It says there are 1986 members but very few ever say anything SO SAY SOMETHING like how I clean rust of my favorite old log chain how to get worms for fishing with out digging a hole or going out at night how to grow carrots and not have to dig them up how to grow potatos and not have to dig them up or my wood fired hot water heater how to have running water with no pump ALL THE SHIT going on in the world you must have something to say about that whats your favorite gun do you have bow and arrows or a air rifle like how I got 3 compound bows and over 40 alum. arrows for under 100.00 bucks. Throw a ? out there and see what kind of help you get from the rest of us . COME ON PEOPLE TALK TO US AND ANY ONE

And I am following 1447 of them.

From what I have seen, people are more likely to lurk and listen than speak. Think of the last public meeting you attended and the ratio of those speaking and those not. But that is only the first factor, I suspect. The very nature of many preppers has them spending their time on things that can or will help them survive or thrive after the SHTF. Now for myself, I have always been the one to talk if others do not. And since I sit in front of a PC at work, I stat out my day sharing thoughts of my plans that often involve some type of prepping be it the nurtery type tasks to maintain genetics and seeds, fruit etc. water resource development … But even this loud mouth (me) has hopes to retire and spend most of my time doing prepping stuff. When that time comes, my participation on this site will drop off because computers will not be part of my life. My point is that those that are preppers and further along the path of prepping than myself, do not have an interest in poking a t web-site.

But for now I will play along!

“clean rust of my favorite old log chain ”

Hmmm… if PB Blaster is not an option then throwing them in a cement mixer with a bucket of sharp sand.

” worms for fishing with out digging a hole ”

Saturating the ground brings them out. They need to breath.

“how to grow potatos and not have to dig them up”

I have seen a bunch of people growing them in buckets or bags but my research ahs shown that I need about 1/4 acre of potatoes for one person for one year. THat is a lot of buckets then scale it up for 32 people, we are talking eight acres of buckets. Another factor is the seed potatoes for that many spuds. I have been experimenting with growing five varieties of spuds for maybe 7 years now. I grow multiple varieties to help avoid complication with blight taking out all my spuds. I also get some beetles that will punch hole sin the leaves. WIth five varieties, one variety is favored over the others and serve as a sacrificial crop. Early on I had used Seven Dust, but that would require I have a large supply on hand (I still do but do not use it) and it will kill the bees and the praying mantis. Beside from what I learned from “Gardening When it Counts”, as long as the damage is less that 20% of the total leaf area, do not sweat it. Now the seed potatoes factor is another area of experimentation. For my region ( you are father north so it may not work there) I can just leave some spuds in the ground over winter. As long as they do not freeze and turn into mush, potatoes will just propagate themselves. I spotted a large Purple Viking in one of the garden beds I have out on The Ridge last week. That was from spuds that had grown last year with no effort on my part. Enough of the potato talk for now.

“ALL THE SHIT going on in the world you must have something to say ”

See the blowing off steam thread. I am chosing to speak to the world happenings though my actions and prepping.

“whats your favorite gun do you have bow and arrows or a air rifle like how I got 3 compound bows and over 40 alum. arrows for under 100.00 bucks.”

An SKS that I fitted with a scope. I do not practice much because I have to clean it afterwards and that takes up time I can being doing other prepping. I figure there will plenty of time to practice after the SHTF. Will also have bows, and The Princess has a crossbow. The G-daughter is learning archery on Sundays when she visits. It sounds like you got a great deal. We had to pay serious money for our archery gear. If @urbanhuter speaks of archery, now we are getting serious. He is the type that does NOT aim for the center of his targets. He would be destroying too many good arrows that way.

Take care,

Ben

Profile photo of urbanhunter
    urbanhunter
    Participant

@big-red you have observed something that I have seen, there are always those who say,”I’m going to do this or that someday” but they never get around to it. I have had a number of people who tell me they want to hunt, but 4:30 is just too early… or it’s too cold, or it’s messy. Look at society, look at @benrayner and his LLC retirement plan, he is the exception, he is what I see as the definition of a mainstream prepper… he is prepping for his and his family’s tomorrow.

The baby boomer generation is heading for a terrible wall: only 1 in 4 will retire above the poverty line, most have saved virtually nothing for their senior years and they can expect about $1700 per month from the government when they are forced into retirement. The government assumes that it will only be supplying 1/3 of their needs and that they will have made arrangements for the rest… Boomers have grown up thinking the world will end tomorrow and it doesn’t matter what they do, and now they have squandered their opportunities to prepare for the events that they will face over the next decade.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I am a late boomer and I am fully aware of the implications of a ticking clock. So what do I do? I save 30% of my income for retirement, I garden and I hunt and eat the fruits of my labors (saving money at the same time). I do my own work, and save every chance I can, what I can’t afford I do without. Prepping is hard work and it is time consuming. Posting a log of what we are doing also takes time away from prepping. So I post in the early morning, or when I am taking a brake from doing something worth while. I have even posted progress reports from airports while I am waiting to fly someplace related to work.

In fact, right now I am winding down from getting home from work, watering my plants in the greenhouse, weeding the vegetable boxes that have been open for the rain, getting fittings for expanding my watering system, and getting out a dining fly to cover my truck so I can start finishing putting the engine back together when I get home from work tomorrow (it is going to be raining all weekend and I don’t have a covered work area). Everything has a season, a prepper is always looking over the horizon and planning for what they will be needing in the next season, while doing what they have to do in the “now”. My seasonal calendar is February to November is gardening, July to January is hunting, when I fished it was March to September, if the house or cars needs work they trump the season, and employment trumps everything except family health issues…

In my book, prepping is a life style, it is evaluating everything, you have a power outage; what worked, what didn’t, what would you do different?, what do you need to improve on? What do I need to buy/get to make things better? That is prepping. Having someone like @benrayner who is willing to share what they have done is a special gift (I love his ram-pump and steam engine).

If you have a question, throw it out there and you will be surprised at the knowledge base you have available to you. Now, remember at heart most preppers are private people who do not want to compromise their efforts or put their stores at risk. There is nothing that makes me cringe more than to hear someone say in public, well if things go south I going to Urban’s house…. Once or twice and after that NO ONE other than FAMILY is allowed in my basement pantry or near my armory. Heck, even on this site, I am Urbanhunter and very few know who he is… That is intentional and for good reason… I don’t know you or who else is ease dropping on what we say here.

Well said too much and 4AM comes early,

Take care and stay safe,

Urbanhunter

Profile photo of BenRayner
    BenRayner
    Participant

Ditto what @urbanhunter posted!

And adding to theme so far with some more thoughts…

Times have changed since this web-site started and the political winds are coming from a different direction. Some that though the leadership would lead us to disaster are not as concerned as the once were. I would think that the others would now be thinking disaster but why they are not taking up prepping I can not guess.

Prepping was more popular when the series Doomsday Preppers was on. I do not even know if that show still exists because I don’t have time for cable so we dropped that service. But if you happened to watch that show and caught the episodes about the Prepper that was getting out of the US and packing up for Costa Rica… He is our host here on this web-site.

You can find his YouTube channel here.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbKJBNdyExQZqFJmZkVwBNw

But he has not updated that channel for about four years now. He has actually done what seemed crazy but I suspect he is happy and doing just fine.

The other big Prepper web-site was American Prepper Network but that site has been down for a while.

http://americanpreppersnetwork.net/index.php

So without dragging this out much farther, @big red, preppers are a rare species and public preppes are an oxymoron.

Ben

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

FREE EBOOK

Hope for the Best, Prepare for the Worst
Protecting Yourself Against Economic Collapse