Local Teams to Gather Supplies

Home Forums Prepper 101 Sheltering in Place Local Teams to Gather Supplies

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of amish heart amish heart 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of urbanhunter
    urbanhunter
    Participant

I have been thinking (did you see the smoke?) Anyway:

In the UH household we make a list of what we need every evening, so when MR.UH goes shopping so he gets just what the Boss needs. But with these COVID-19 times when we are being told to social distance it becomes an issue just to shop. What do you think of sharing “needs lists” each evening with your trusted local friends and then if any of them are out and about they could pick-up things for each other, dropping them off on the way home. Support Teams could be developed Geographically (+/- a few miles) . If they had a phone text “group” they could let each other know what they have in real time so a to avoid double buying. The details would need to be negotiated by each team.

I think that as widely dispersed preppers we can create these teams for ourselves and provide a model for our communities.

In case you didn’t notice from my tone, I personally expect this short event to last until sometime around August, so I am trying to think long game.

Best Regards,

Urbanhunter/UH/Urban

Profile photo of amish heart
    amish heart
    Participant

I’m hoping we’ll be done with this in August, too. We were supposed to be moving to the farm in June, but too dangerous for husband to travel with his health issues. And the fact that next to my cousins farm is a farm with a positive case. The lady had just returned from Israel, was sick a week later, and gave it to her grandkids. So around July/August it is!
    I think it’s a good idea what you are proposing. We currently live in the outskirts of a big city (Albuquerque), so have to go to Albuquerque for supplies. Last I went was to a restaurant supply store in our warehouse district. Got 60 lbs of hamburger and 20 lbs of cheese. We have an over abundance of eggs from our chickens. I normally put a egg sale sign up and they go immediately, but can’t right now. Do not need the exposure in our household from seeing people I don’t know with cash. So, we have been giving eggs to our elderly neighbors, and to a few former employees that are single moms. Eggs are evidently hard to find in the store. They text me, tell me what they need, and I leave it on our front bench. Have given away about 18 dozen in the past two weeks. The only other thing we have going on is I pick up our mail at our p.o. box about twice a week. Our neighbor is an 80 yr old widow with compromised lungs, so I get hers, too. I figure another week and we’ll be out of fresh milk here , but have lots of powdered. Also we’ll be out of fresh fruit and veg, but I have lots of frozen veg, fruit, and home canned. Lettuce and spinach are growing in the yard. Someone wants a pair of chickens, so I said I would trade for 2 bags of pellets and 2 bags of scratch.

urbanhunter
    Participant

Wow! @amish_heart, This morning Mrs. UH and I were taking about the next time I find milk getting a gallon to freeze. We also talked about when we are going to start blending 50/50 powdered milk and fresh to stretch things!

In this location there is a lot of chicken production and a couple of dairy farms so I am hoping that we will have some access to those.

Speaking of canning, just before the SHTF the wife and I canned homemade beef soup, we used an older chuck roast. This week I may do venison or a turkey/chicken, canned meal. I am now repeating myself from posts several years ago (I am not senile yet)… We have found that adding frozen mixed vegetables as you cook (reheat) a canned soup it will take away the “over cooked” taste.

My favorite grocery store shortened their hours (which squeezes everyone into a shorter time slot, not wise from a social distancing perspective).

For those non-preppers out there, lettuce will grow in almost any container (don’t over water, it will kill the roots) one plant in a quart jar works, spinach grows nice outdoors this time of year-but normally you will get a lot of plants close together, I have been starting my seeds in a small container of potting soil then transplanting them individually with a small spoon – remember to back fill where you took out the plant. This gives me the ability to have lots of spaced large plants and some crowded small plants to replant with as I harvest the big plants. (this also works with lettuce, but I find swishing the roots in a pale of water helps separate the roots without damaging them.

Keep Safe and Well,

Urban

amish heart
    Participant

Sending a box of food to daughter and family in Seattle. They are allowing the equivalent of one day’s food at the store, which makes everyone go to the store every day. We don’t really need anything, but husband ordered more coffee from Sams for in store pickup (???) so I guess I am donning the scary stuff today and going out to get it. It’s Monday, so homeschooling after the chores are done for the three grandkids. No common core here. Wednesday they are off school to help clear the area in the back part of our acre for wheat. We will use the wheat grass for animal food for the chickens and rabbits. The turkeys, although laying well, are hens. When they run out of game bird feed (I have 75 lbs), they will be freezer food. Got the green beans planted yesterday…5 large stocktanks full. Also sending out other daughter’s (hopeful) graduation announcements for her ceremony early May. And party at our house on Mother’s Day (also hopeful). After seven long years at the University. She will be Dr. B. Darling (I love that). MD in pharmaceuticals. Already hired at the University Hopsital in Tuscon in June (another hopeful). Ex son in law coming to pick up eggs on the porch for him and his dad. My favorite cousin in Kansas had their first case, out in the middle of nowhere. To the farm directly to their north. The lady traveled to Israel. Then visited with their grandkids when they came home. That would be the farm directly to my cousin’s south. The kids are showing symptoms now. So, cousin has stocked up, will stay on their 100 or so acres.

urbanhunter
    Participant

When shopping for prepps don’t forget treats, they can brighten you day.

There’s nothing like a fresh brownie or cookie when things are stressful. It is also a good way to help kids do math, like 1/2 cup of this, 1/4 tsp of that… Plus it gets everyone involved in a positive way.

amish heart
    Participant

Yep! Made a bunch of peanut butter cookies yesterday

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

FREE EBOOK

Hope for the Best, Prepare for the Worst
Protecting Yourself Against Economic Collapse